Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hate Mail and other projects

Hate Mail opens this Friday at 8 pm at the Bathhouse Cultural Center! I'm so proud of this show, it's going to be very very funny. A lot of talented people have been involved, and it was an honor to work with all of them.

The Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha conference last week was a lot of fun! We had lovely weather all week (if a bit rainy), and I have a lot to read and re-read. Part of my goal for this conference, apart from hearing a bunch of different perspectives on the work of William Faulkner and how it has affected other writers, was to get a better idea of what literary academia is like and where I might like to go to graduate school. I'm still not sure about where I want to go, but I do know that I want to continue my academic studies (whether at school or unofficially at home) and that I'm not quite ready to wholly enter that world. For now, I'm content to use what my previous experiences in academia have given me to change the world, one play or story at a time. As well as re-reading half of Go Down Moses last week, I read Bossypants by Tina Fey and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. As interesting and enjoyable as Faulkner is, it was very inspiring to read the latter memoirs, both as a feminist and as an actress and writer. If I could grow up to be just like Tina and Mindy, I'd be pretty happy. Fueled by devouring both of those books within two days, I've already started work on some monologues that I would like to develop into a web series.

Speaking of writing, a couple months ago I submitted a story to the Sword and Laser anthology. They should be finishing up choosing which stories to publish in the next two weeks. I'm very hopeful, but even if I don't get in (which wouldn't be terribly surprising since my story is not a conventional fantasy story and may not be the style they are looking for) this should be a great collection, and I encourage you to read it!

Up next, I will be stage managing Secrets of My Prison House, a new play written by the indomitable Ben Schroth, and directed by the very talented Jared Culpepper. It's going to be deliciously grotesque and absurd, and I look forward to the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment