My last post was a bit intense. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.
Last week was Helping Hands and Hyena Haikus: A Benefit for Matt Tomlanovich- a three-night performance extravaganza!!! It was exhausting, but also amazing and beautiful and straight-up fun. The benefit took place at the Margo Jones Theatre, and yours truly stage managed and performed a dramatic reading of an original story titled "Rabbit Stew"
| Reading "Rabbit Stew" for Matt's benefit at the Margo Jones Theatre. Photos by Danielle Vance |
There were so many different kinds of acts, and they were all pretty fabulous. I think my favorites were probably Ely Sellers' musical performance act titled Super Mook, Imani Williams and Kristin Raveneau's music act, Kris Noteboom's solo piece "Sex Dream", and the two clown acts Le Grotesquimos and Raymond Scott: Expect Everything...but geez ya'll, this was just an explosion of Dallas talent and an explosion of love for Matt. Even though the cause is a sad one, I'm really happy he is stable and doing about as well as can be expected, and it was really touching to see how many people from all over the metroplex and from a variety of different performance scenes came together for this. We had performers, production staff, volunteers and attendees who hailed from Dallas, DeSoto, Old East Dallas, Carrollton, and Irving, we had theater professionals who've worked with Junior Players, Soul Rep, Shakespeare Dallas, Nouveau 47, the Pocket Sandwich Theater, Ochre House, and many more. We had wonderful poetry. We even had a visual art piece, and Claudia brought a little stuffed animal hyena to sit on the donation table. It was great that we raised a ton of money to help Matt and Claudia pay for assisstive technology (over $6000 at the benefit alone! And it isn't too late to donate), but it was also just really cool to have all those different kinds of performers with different styles and backgrounds under one roof.
| Me and Ely Sellers taking a pic with Matt's stunt double! |
![]() |
| Brad McEntire and I were photobombed by Erin |
![]() |
| Me, Erin Singleton, and Domino Vance, AKA the Badass Production Trio |
In other news, I have been cast in a production of Plaza Suite as Mimsey at Lakeside Community Theatre in The Colony. Sweet!
Next week is the first day of class for Meisner II at Water Tower Theatre- this is going to be a good fall. In September I will be going part-time at my job in order to focus on grad school applications and theater projects. I really love my job, but I'm really glad that I will only be there part-time now. I have many plans for the upcoming months, and I'm grateful to my friends, family, and boss for supporting me as I put them in motion.


No comments:
Post a Comment