Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Margaret Cho and Letter Writing

While Christmas shopping at Half Price Books a few weeks ago, I picked up a copy of Margaret Cho's autobiography I'm The One That I Want. I have been somewhat aware of her as a comedian and a feminist, and enjoyed an essay she wrote for Bitch magazine when she edited a collection for them, so I thought it sounded like a good read. I had no idea that it would be so dark (she struggled for a long time in her late teens and early twenties with addiction problems and low self esteem), but it was an incredible read. Beginning in the summer of 2013, I have begun reading the memoirs of funny, intelligent women in the performance industry: Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, Amy Poehler, and now Margaret Cho. I love how different they all are. They have all made it and retained their values. They are not cookie cutters. They learned how to not put up with any shit and retain creative control. It's wonderful.

Recently, Michelle (my mentee from last fall) asked me to write her a letter of recommendation for her college application. I was flattered and had plenty of nice things to say about her, so I said yes. It felt incredibly odd to realize that I am qualified to write a recommendation letter for undergraduate programs. I've been working fairly consistently in the industry for more than four years now, and while I still have a lot to learn in every field, I also have a lot to share with people just starting their journey in the theater world and I am qualified to pass judgement on their current abilities. It makes me feel like a grown-up.

In other news, I'm having a ton of fun filling in for weekend matinees on Pegasus Theater's lastest Living Black and White production, Another Murder, Another Show. I love working with them, and hope to continue doing so in a variety of capacities for many years to come.

My SMU audition is this Saturday morning! It will be my first graduate school audition. The rest are coming up the first weekend of February. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment